Wednesday, June 6, 2007

More on My Journey

Since starting university in March, the year has gone by very quickly. I have experienced a range of emotions learning about the origins of aboriginal society and culture. It is a very exciting time in my life. These experiences have allowed me to experiment and broaden my artistic skills and abilities. I would like to invite you to visit my gallery and view the new editions I have just released. www.yuinart.com

Being part of the Griffith University community, a number of doors have opened for me. I was fortunate enough to be chosen to read for a part, and selected to perform in a short film called “The Walk”. The film was written by one of the Griffith University aboriginal lecturers, Marcus Waters, and tells of a story about racism between back and white and black and black. The film was shot at Beenleigh South Queensland on a cane farm not far from the coast. I play the part of the redneck farmer, with very little tolerance for the aboriginal boy dating my daughter. The film is currently being edited and should be available for release in New Zealand later on in the year.

I have also had the privilege of being part of the design team for the external wall of the new state library. The design measures 11mt x 7mt. The art team carved the design into panels of Hebel and Red Wood Timber. The panels will be moved to the Library and erected by September 2006. The team of aboriginal artists will have their names engraved into a brass plaque and placed near the wall.

No comments: